Charitable Giving

Scots who had already found their feet in this new city set out to assist immigrant Scots just arriving here. Over the years the St. Andrew’s Society has maintained a keen interest in its people and its mandate. These days we have expanded our charitable endeavours to all those in need, regardless of country of origin, through the legacy of our St. Andrew’s Charitable Foundation. Each year we provide grants to help organizations across Toronto.

[teaser]Make a difference in your community: donate now![/teaser]

Our Grants Committee takes a hands-on interest in our recipients and their work.

Charitable donations are made with the needs of the most vulnerable people in mind, including women, children and those new to the country.

  • We provide most of this support through agencies which provide food, counseling, housing, recreational programs and other needed services.
  • In order to make sure that the funds of the Society are needed and that they are used in accordance with the goals of the Society, members of the Grants Committee visit each charity regularly.
  • The charities we support assure us that our support is important to them, especially as government funding is being cut back, new affordable housing for the poor is not being created, and the income of the poor is not rising as quickly as the cost of living in our city.
  • All of the funds raised through membership donations and profits from events of the Society are used to help comfort, feed, teach and support others.
  • The St. Andrew’s Society of Toronto supports a wide variety of agencies.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”4″ gal_title=”Grant Recipients”]

The St. Andrew’s Charitable Foundation

The charitable activities of the St. Andrew’s Society of Toronto are carried out through a separate unincorporated organization, the St. Andrew’s Charitable Foundation.

  • The Foundation was established to enable the issuance of charitable donation receipts that are recognized by the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Donations and bequests from the Society’s members, supplemented by revenue from the Foundation’s investment portfolio and its 60% share of the net income from the annual St. Andrew’s Charitable Ball (the other 40% going to the joint Ball sponsor, the 48th Highlanders of Canada) permit the Foundation to support Toronto-based charities that work primarily with newcomers to the city, women and children.

This support has totaled close to $1 million over the past 15 years.

The Christina Mary Hendrie Trust

The Christina Mary Hendrie Trust is able to provide grants to charitable bodies in Scotland and Canada primarily to charities concerned with the young and the elderly, and have been doing so since 1972. Check out their website for more information or click here to read the fun story about how it was started.

[teaser]Make a difference in your community: donate now![/teaser]

            teresagroup     doorsteps       creating-together-logo-196x200       christie       logoHouseLink_logo_PMS_hor    416    header-new4    Camp-Winston-Logo-Correct-Colours-150x150    new circles    rh    ch    gc    mas    ywca        High res Furniture Bank Logo (1)                                   

Did You Know?