Broughty Castle was erected in 1490 by the 2nd Lord Gray in response to increased English naval activity. It was taken without a shot fired by the English in 1547 and reclaimed by the Scots two and a half years later. The castle fell back into English hands in 1651.  In 1860 the threat of French invasion prompted Broughty’s conversion from a ruin to a modern artillery defence. The castle now houses a museum run by Leisure and Culture Dundee.