St. Andrew’s Charity Ball
2023-11-18 | 6:00 pm - 1:30 am Royal York Hotel
The St. Andrew’s Charity Ball is a celebration of Scottish-Canadian culture. Attendees have been enjoying this elegant evening of music, dance and cuisine for well over 100 years. We are pleased to announce that the 2023 Ball is returning to the Fairmont Royal York Hotel on Saturday, November 18.
All funds raised from the Ball will benefit the St. Andrew’s Charitable Foundation. The Society was originally founded in 1836 to support Scottish immigrants who had fallen on hard times. The Foundation has continued these good works by supporting charitable causes across the city. Over $1 million has been donated to local charities over the past 15 years.
The Fairmont Royal York is located at 100 Front St. West in downtown Toronto. It is home to some of the city’s most sought after event spaces. The venue has decades of history with the Charity Ball so we are thrilled to renew that tradition.
The St. Andrew’s Society hosts the Charity Ball in partnership with 48th Highlanders of Canada. The regiment’s Pipes & Drums will perform throughout a night of pomp and ceremony. As per tradition, the 48th will provide all the music for the dancing.
Attendees can also look forward to seeing the Highlandin6 Dancers over the course of the evening. Get ready to be blown away by these dynamic young performers.
The Charity Ball is one of the few remaining black-tie events in the city. It is an evening of high fashion with elegant gowns and clan tartans on attendees of all ages. Some opt for tuxedos in lieu of traditional attire.
Those looking to get outfitted for the Ball should contact William Glen & Son . They have a wide variety of tartans, sashes, kilts and other accessories. For over 20 years, they have offered Ball goers a Full Highland Rental for $99 (regular $175). This offer excludes dress shirt and hose.
The evening will begin at 6:00pm with a cocktail reception. This will be followed by dinner (including haggis) between 7:00-9:00pm. Guests will retire to the lounge area for drinks and socializing at the dinner’s conclusion. Dancing will begin at 10:00pm after the room is changed over. Festivities will continue until 1:30am, culminating with the 48th Highlander’s Pipes and Drums Beat Retreat.
- 1st course: Soup – Honey Roasted Heirloom Squash with Apple Cider, Pepitas (both of these soups are free of dairy/milk and gluten)
- 2nd course: Haggis
- 3rd course: Main – Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Supreme with Herb Roasted Ontario Fingerling Potatoes, Carrot Purée, Chicken Jus (free of dairy/milk and gluten).
- 4th course: Dessert – Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake, Cherry Compote, Vanilla Cream (gluten free)
A vegetarian meal can be selected as an option for each guest during the purchase process. Dietary restrictions can also be noted and confirmed by the Ball’s Organizing Committee.
Ball attendees are encouraged to make their own arrangements for overnight stays. There is no dedicated room block with the Royal York Hotel.
Tickets may be purchased online through the Eventbrite ticketing platform. Those looking to purchase tables via cheque or e-transfer are encouraged to send an email to email@example.com for further instructions. A tax receipt for a portion of the ticket proceeds will be issued after the event for purchasers requesting one.
All tickets must be purchased one week before the event in order to help with planning. The sales window will close at 11:59pm ET on Saturday, November 11. Purchase options include the following. Please note that ticket prices do not include Eventbrite fees.
- A Dinner & Dancing Ticket may be purchased for $250. This price will allow one person access to the entire evening.
- A Table Package may be purchased for groups of 8, 9 or 10. The package comes with a table beverage credit for wine or cocktails ($10 credit per ticket).
- An $80 Cèilidh Ticket is available for those who wish to come after dinner. This ticket is ideal for those who only wish to go to the dancing portion. Ceilidh ticket holders may begin arriving after 9 pm.
Guests that are not part of a full table may request who they would like to sit with at the time of purchase. All seating will be arranged by the Ball Committee. Best efforts will be made to honour requests.
A list of all the dances for the night will be provided in the Ball program. Everyone who purchases a ticket for the Charity Ball will be eligible to attend dance practices leading into the event. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro, this is a great opportunity to get ready for the Ball. Practices will be held at the following times and locations:
- Tuesday, October 24th (8-10pm) – Moss Park Armoury (130 Queen St. East)
- Tuesday, November 7th (8-10pm) – Moss Park Armoury
- Tuesday, November 14th (8-10pm) – Moss Park Armoury
- Saturday, November 11th (2-4pm) – Glenview Presbyterian Church (1 Glenview Ave.)
Any Ball related questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org . We look forward to celebrating with you on November 18th!